Thursday, May 5, 2011

Practice makes perfect, be careful what you practice


Each morning I receive an email from Girlfriends In God.  It’s usually some scripture, a story and how it relates to God in our lives and some encouragement. I then went on to read James 3 because that’s what my bible was open to and funnily enough it talked about the same subject.
God is clearly speaking to me about this today because it was mentioned in each thing I read… My words.
How you use your words can really make or break a person. In the email I read the quote
“How do you use your words? To fortify or flatten, to defend or defeat, complete or compete”

How many times do we carelessly let words flow and not think of the damage it can cause another person, even when we’re not intending it to? I know I do it often, usually in a playful manner, but nonetheless…it doesn’t make them any less deflating or destructive.

James 3:3-6 says
We can make a large horse go wherever we want by means of a small bit in it’s mouth. And a small rudder makes a huge ship turn wherever the pilot chooses to go, even though the winds are strong. In the same way, the tongue is a small thing that makes grand speeches. But a tiny spark can set a great forest fire.

What you say and what you DON’T say are both important. In James 3 it talks about examples of an untamed tongue
Gossiping, exaggerating, complaining, manipulating, flattery, lying, bragging, & putting others down.
Before you speak, ask, is what I want to say true? Is it necessary? Is it kind?

James 3:7-12 says
“People can tame all kinds of animals, birds, reptiles, & fish. But no one can tame the human tongue. It is relentless and evil, full of deadly poison. Sometimes the tongue praises our Lord and Father, and sometimes it curses those who have been made in the image of God. And so blessing & cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely my brothers and sisters, that’s not right. Does a spring of water bubble out with both fresh water & bitter water? Does a fig tree produce olives, or a grapevine produce figs? No, and you can’t draw fresh water from a salty spring.

My contradictory speech will often surprise me, I’ll sit and think “why do I have so say things like that?” or “where on earth did that come from” At times my words are pleasing to God, other times they are destructive. Which of these reflect my true identity?
The bible says “We are made in Gods image, but the tongue gives us a picture of our basic sinful nature. The Holy Spirit changes us from the inside out. When the Holy Spirit purifies a heart, he gives self control so that the person will speak words that please God.”

Today I pray that the Lord will continue to convict me when I start to become a salty spring. I want my words to reflect Jesus inside of me, not me. I want to speak life into those around me & lift them up, not tear them down.
My downfall is that I don’t mean it and it’s my way of playing, I usually only do it when I feel comfortable around a person enough to play that way. It may start as a spark but there will come a point that it will start a huge fire…
I read something the other day that said

“Practice makes perfect, be careful what you practice”

I don’t ever want to put something into practice that will become perfect, if it’s not joined with life.
Speak life to those around you today, encourage, inspire, love and see their potential skyrocket.


No comments:

Post a Comment