Saturday, February 4, 2012

Apart from Me, you can do nothing

In the middle of reading “Made to crave” By Lysa TerKeurst something occurred to me. I was reading a line from a scripture I know well “John 15” I have it tattooed on my arm.
It was John 15:9-12

9 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.

As I read it reminded me of my favorite verse in John 15:5

  5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

Remain in Me, and I in you…apart from Me, you can do nothing.

I initially got the tattoo to remind me of where God brought me from.
The day I gave my life to Christ this scripture was what my Pastor based the sermon on. It changed my perspective on my situation. It was the way my Pastor put that certain scripture, that God used in my life so greatly that caused me to hang on to that. He said:
“Have you ever felt like you have been cut off from God?... like He’s forgotten about you & all these bad things keep happening? …He’s pruning you, so that you can become more fruitful…He’s taking the old “dead” things & allowing room for better things.”

From that point on, I decided to give my life to Christ & my life has never been the same…I ended up getting “John 15” on my wrist to remind me that whenever I feel as though God is removing things from my life, it’s because He is pruning me so that I am able to become more fruitful…today, I discovered it had a different meaning…something new for where I am in my walk now.
When I read the lines “Remain in me, & I in you…apart from me you can do nothing” I thought of all the times I tried to do things in my own strength & how I got tired, (exhausted in fact) I felt weighed down & defeated, weak & darn right reckless, because every choice from that point on, was not a good one. I had no strength in me to make a good choice & I wasn’t “Remaining IN HIM” to let Him take over for me…I had been so busy trying to DO, rather than trying to BE that I had left God behind.

This happens often to me & slowly God reels me back in to remind me that apart from Him, I can do nothing. I CAN do something, but it doesn’t mean anything…it has no eternal value & it doesn’t fulfill me.
When I spend time with God, in His presence & be still…He renews my strength. Just like He tells us in Psalm 103:5 & Isaiah 40:31

Psalm 103:5
Who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's

Isaiah 40:31
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

So why oh why do I continue to think I can always do it in my own strength!? When I know & have experienced His to rely on.
I guess for me its time, that’s always my excuse… (and I say “Excuse” because that’s what it is) I don’t have time, or I don’t feel like it because I’m too busy DOING as I said earlier…or exhausted from doing!

Friend, there is nothing wrong with having a servants heart, but we need to keep a balance. Serve, but also spend time with Him. Even if it is only 15 minutes in the morning when we make time to be still in His presence.
We make time for what’s important…Is He important to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment